Thursday, March 13, 2014

About Four Years Late

I'm not Mr. With-It when it comes to music, but I've discovered some incredibly good music with lyrical wonderfulness. It's Mumford & Sons. Lead singer Marcus Mumford is the son of John and Eleanor Mumford who founded the Vineyard Association of Churches in England I'd describe the music as bluegrassy, Irish-y, folksy, alternative rock that's raw, gruff, and intense. I don't know how the music experts would describe it, but I don't care. I like it. The lyrical depth of Marcus reminds me of another religious wanderer - Bob Dylan from Duluth (it's clear from interviews with Marcus and from his lyrics that his upbringing has informed his music, but he's made clear he hasn't "landed" where his parents have religiously). Am I overstating? Hmmmm ... I don't know. What I do know is that I like his music. What's interesting about both Marcus Mumford and Bob Dylan is that their religious paths have crossed. Bob Dylan was part of a group in California in the late '70's or early '80's that influenced the beginnings of the Vineyard USA and John and Eleanor Mumford came to the U.S. in the mid-80's to learn from John Wimber of Vineyard USA before they started Vineyard England. In fact, though Marcus is British, he was actually born in California during that time. Anyway, my favorite album is their 2012 Babel. Their rookie album, Sigh No More is the one I listened to first. Both excellent. Warning: an F-bomb in "Little Lion Man" on Sigh No More. But I think in England in the verb form, it simply means "Messed," like "Oops." ;) ...

No comments: