The time has come. I have assembled a list of my favorite movies. These are MY favorites. Their presence on the list does not necessarily indicate critical acclaim ... in fact, the critics panned about half of them.
I went with gut instinct for the most part, and I’ll give a word or a line about each as an explanation. Also, I've included a list of honorable mentions.
10. The Muppet Movie (nostalgia)
9. Rocky (inspiration)
8. The Empire Strikes Back (best of the 6)
7. Dumb & Dumber (influence on current generation of comedies)
6. Zoolander (no reason necessary)
5. Waiting for Guffman (Levy, Guest and Willard are geniuses ... their 2 follow-up movies were commercially more successful, but this one is the real deal)
4. Raising Arizona (Coen brothers best ... Hudsucker Proxy also makes my top 20)
3. The Bourne Identity (I just liked it. I'd also put a Tom Clancy movie or two [the Harrison Ford ones] into my top 20)
2. Mystery Men (I don't know why. It was simply spectacular. This cannot be number 1, but it can be number 2 or 3)
1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (simply the best)
Honorable mentions: Napoleon Dynamite (it hasn't cracked the top ten, because I'm waiting to see if it stands the test of time), The Return of the Pink Panther, Back to the Future (Back to the Future II & III making the top 50), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Temple of Doom doesn't crack the top 100, but the other two are among the best of all time), The Karate Kid I & II, the original Star Wars, the original Batman (Keaton/Nicholson), Ishtar, and finally Luther (perhaps the only movie with any redeeming (literally) value. What's on your top ten? Just go with your gut.